Free cookie consent management tool by TermsFeed
6. Praza de Cervantes
print cuaderno de viaje

6. Praza de Cervantes

The fact that Praza de Cervantes used to be called, centuries ago, Plaza del Pan (Bread Square) or Plaza del Campo (Country Square) indicates that it used to be the location of the most important medieval market. Its crowds received the Apostle pilgrims, who entered through Compostela’s walls via Porta do Camiño and continued on towards the Cathedral. This old market gradually specialised into guilds and occupied other streets featuring evocative names, such as Pescadería Vella, Carnicería or Campo do Forno.

All that is left of that market in Cervantes are the delicacies that catch our eye in the small, varied window of the Cepeda grocery shop (open since 1888), the restaurants and bars (some featuring live music) and pavement cafés located in both the square itself and surrounding streets, which are full of life thanks to the cuisine and culture on offer.

 

 

Image gallery

6. Praza de Cervantes
6. Praza de Cervantes

More information

Location
Praza de Cervantes, 7-11, Santiago de Compostela, 15782