CHURCH 14th c. Gothic with Romanesque influence
The church was built in the 14th century according to the canons of mendicant architecture. It consists of three naves separated by semicircular arches and a pretty main chapel with high windows and a ribbed vault. It is accessed via the convent and has the following outstanding features inside: the four Gothic tombs on both sides of the altar, the Virgins with Baby from the 15th century and the Chapel of the Rosary housing two baroque altarpieces, one by Pedro Taboada and the other by Francisco Castro Canseco. Of great interest is the Pantheon of Galicia, situated in one of the church's side chapels, where the mortal remains of, among others, Rosalía de Castro, Castelao, Alfredo Brañas, Ramón Cabanillas and Francisco Asorei repose. This church is therefore linked to the memory of Galician nationalism. The cloister houses an interesting Gothic cross made of stone. It is presently used as an exhibition and concert hall.
CONVENT 13th c. Different styles
According to tradition, it was founded in 1220 by Santo Domingo de Guzmán. The present-day building dates from the 14th century, in its oldest parts, with alterations and extensions undertaken in the 17th century by Domingo de Andrade, who left his baroque mark on the convent. In 1912 it was declared a National Monument. It now houses the Museum of the Galician People, which preserves Galicia's ethnographic memory. Here we can see one of the most emblematic works of Galicia's baroque style: Domingo de Andrade's triple spiral stairway. Each of the three independent ramps leads to each of the convent's floors.