Not only for art lovers: reasons for visiting Santiago’s galleries
Apart from the opportunity of coming into contact with the world of art, reserved in the past to a privileged few, Santiago’s galleries have another attraction: many of them are housed in historic buildings, and this is a unique occasion for becoming acquainted with interesting interior spaces. But here you have 10 more reasons for visiting them:
- Admission is completely free.
- In Santiago even the largest gallery is small, and this makes them very “manageable”, with a visit lasting about half an hour.
- They often exhibit local artists, whose work has a strong local flavour, enabling you to discover new nuances or refreshing perspectives of Santiago, of Galicia…
- Wine and cheese or other aperitifs and an opportunity for rubbing shoulders with the artist during opening soirées.
- There is no pressure to buy: gallery owners are used to people looking without buying.
- Gallery owners know a lot about art and the exhibited artists, and they are available and delighted to answer your questions.
- You can learn a lot about art and the art business by chatting with them.
- Many galleries feature a wide range of prices to fit all budgets, and some also have books, catalogues, etc, which are always good options.
- There are a variety of galleries, with works for all tastes.
- Many of the galleries not only organize exhibitions. They also host literary presentations, conferences, workshops and other activities for children and family.
Art galleries with category Historical zone