This leisure area is located in the parish of Siador, a parish that appears under the name of Senator and Seador in several medieval documents. Proof of its antiquity are the Celtic settlements known as Castro do Marco and Castro de Cartimil, the tombs of Montedas and Gandaracha, and especially the Peneda do Encanta petroglyphs full of fantasy, golden chickens and hens.
In the same area is Spain’s first sanctuary dedicated to the Virgin Mary (1863), in honour of “Nosa Señora da Virxe da Seleta,” which attracts thousands of pilgrims on September 18 and 19 every year.
Other elements worth mentioning are the Spiritual Centre run by the Missionaries of Our Lady of La Salette, which studies the phenomenon of Marian devotion, a campsite, centuries-oldcarballeiras (oak groves) and Pazo de Sestelo dos Rivas (18th century), which promoted the construction of this sanctuary.
Close by, in Penadagra, it is also worth visiting Sobreira de Siador, a 500-year-old cork tree included in the Singular Galician Trees catalogue since 2009. The visit also includes the “Cruceiro de Lázara” stone cross in Siador and the Peto de Ánimas do Marcoshrine (1868).
In the surroundings, there is also a trekking route known as “Senda de la Saleta.”
How to get there
From Silleda, opposite the church of Santa Olaia, the road leading to Siador via Avenida do Parque.