Opened in 1989, the museum honours the priest and astronomer Ramón María Aller Ulloa, born in Lalín in 1878. The astronomer’s former residence, where Galicia’s first astronomy observatory was installed, was adapted to house the museum.
In 1943, Ramón María Aller Ulloa decided to move the observatory to Compostela, where he was subsequently appointed as the director of Santiago University’s Astronomy Observatory. It was not until 2011 when a project was carried out to restore the astronomy observatory in Lalín, with the installation of a new telescope and completely remodelling the dome, restoring and making use of the original timbers.
The American- and Italian-made telescope features an automatic turning and opening system, weighs more than 350 kg and includes a 20-inch, Ritchey-Chrétien-type mirror system, which enables the observation not only of satellites or planets, but also of twin stars or nebulae. The project is aimed at restoring Galicia’s first observatory.
The museum’s collection is made up of instruments that this scientist used in his work and documents, photographs, books, etc. Another section features a collection of drawings and portraits that Laxeiro (Lalín, 1908 – Vigo, 1996), one of the main figures within the movement to revive Galician painting, donated to the local council. This collection is completed with worksby other Galician painters.
The museum also features a permanent collection with some belongings of another of the town’sfamous sons: Joaquín Loriga y Taboada, a pioneer of Spanish aviation that landed his plane on Monte do Toxo (Lalín), being the first to land in Galicia.
The temporary exhibition hall hosts, as of 1993, a Biennial with artists from all over the world.