The monastery of Camanzo was a Benedictine monastery founded in the 19th century by Count Don Gonzalo and his wife Doña Tareixa. It originally served a community of monks and thereafter belonged to Benedictine nuns. The queen Doña Urraca left several bequests in her will to the monks of this monastery, which in 1516 was incorporated into San Payo de Antealtares, in Compostela. The church must have been built during the monastery’s period of splendour, in the 12th century, the same era when that of Carboeiro was completed.
There are now only a few remains of the monastery, such as the arcade that belonged to the chapterhouse. These are semi-circular arches resting on two columns featuring ornamentation with leaves, while the archivolt of the arch is adorned with spheres.
The ensemble has been declared a Property of Tourist Interest.
Church with regular worship