Abades features a magnificent and important architectural complex made up of the present-day parish church of Nosa Señora dos Desamparados, a small but beautiful Romanesque church, the rectory and a stone cross that dominates the ensemble from the top of the access road.
The impressive neoclassical sanctuary was erected in the 18th century by the master builder Melchor Ricoy thanks to the Valencian parish priest, Joaquín Espes, and the contribution of worshippers devoted to Mary. It stands out due to the style incorporated into the area and the magnificence of the project, especially the dome, the highest tower in the area, with a running balcony, a crowning capital, mural paintings made by the painter Jorge Calvo in 1773 and images inside devoted to St. Xaquín and St. Xosé, sculpted by Santiago’s Gambino (1722-1775).
It is also worth mentioning the humble church dedicated to Santa María that accompanies the sanctuary. Built in the 12th century, it is of great historic-artistic interest due to significant mural paintings inside and an equally curious collection of zoomorphic elements on one of the sides outside.
How to get there
In the town of A Bandeira (N-525 road), take the regional PO-204 road to Vila de Cruces and in the village of Campomarzo, turn left towards the Sanctuary of Abades.