The chapel of El Carmen was erected in 1741, on the site where the medieval castle of Melide had been built. The chapel was erected by Blas Núñez de Segade, the chaplain of San Antón, with the help of all of Melide’s inhabitants.
The ground plan is rectangular, with a semi-circular arch of triumph. The vaulted niche in the church façade contains an 18th century Our Lady of El Carmen with the Child and St. Simon kneeling down.
Its altarpiece stands out inside. In the central shrine, we can see a beautiful image of Our Lady of El Carmen, from the late 18th century, attributed to the Compostela workshop of Gambino-Ferreiro or disciples.
Church with regular worship
Times of worship: Sunday at 5.30 pm