The neoclassical church of Santiago de Padrón is located near the end of Paseo del Espolón. Its thick walls also house traces of other, older churches.
On crossing the door facing Paseo del Espolón, we can see an inscription above a stone that reminds us of the church erected by Archbishop Xelmírez in 1133. Beside the high altar, there is a pulpit carved from a single stone, with the image of St. James the Pilgrim (15th century), which belonged to the Gothic church that Lope de Mendoza had built.
Inside, under the high altar, there is a Roman altar stone dedicated to the god Neptune: the “Pedrón”, which, according to Jacobean tradition, was the mooring place of the boat that brought the Apostle James’ remains, along with his disciples Teodoro and Atanasio, from Palestine to the region of Iria.
The church’s different altars and walls feature different elements related to the Jacobean tradition and Apostle James:
- We can see, on one of the altars, St. James the Moor-slayer on top of his white horse.
- St. James the Pilgrim, a 17th-century statue attributed to José Gambino known as the “Parrandero”; on July 25, it is carried on the shoulders of the town’s youth in a procession as far as the chapel of the Santiaguiño.
- Two wooden high reliefs belonging to the chapel of the Santiaguiño’s altarpiece, one depicting the “Traslatio” and the other the Apostle James baptising Queen Lupa.
- Two 18th-century oil paintings that belong to the Chapter of Iria, restored in 2003, depicting the “Traslatio” and the Virgin appearing to the Apostle James, as featured in the Chapter of Iria’s coat of arms.