A proto-Romanesque building originating between the 9th and 10th centuries, it used to be a monastery inhabited by a community of Benedictine nuns, a contemporary of that of San Lourenzo de Carboeiro. This old monastery church is made up of two chapels, a Romanesque one and a Gothic one, which integrate both architectural and sculptural styles.
The Romanesque chapel has a basilican ground plan of three naves with three sections, the central one being twice as wide, separated by means of rectangular pillars. The sanctuary has a sole rectangular chapel. The main façade, located in the west, consists of two archivolts, a chequered canopy and a plain tympanum; it stands out due to the four finely carved capitals, two with plant adornments, one with two lions and the fourth with a beheaded person holding a book among other individuals with an ape-like appearance.
The Gothic chapel, dedicated to St. Ana, which is also known as Capela señorial dos Deza, houses the sarcophagus of the knight Diego Gómez de Deza, dated 1341. Attached to the Romanesque one by the south wall, it has a single nave. It features a rectangular door with plain jambs and a pentagonal lintel in which the Agnus Dei with a fleur-de-lis cross stands out, between the sun and moon, and at the top, an image of the “Virgen de la Leche” sitting on a three-lobe ogival seat under a canopy. It also features different types of interesting corbels, with medieval iron fittings ending in snakeheads on the door leaves.
How to get there
You can arrive via the 525 national road from the towns of Silleda and A Bandeira, on the way to the nearby Monastery of Carboeiro.