The gastronomy festival par excellence in the municipality of Padrón, held on the first Saturday in August in the parish of Herbón. It started in 1978 and is now classified as a Festival of Galician Tourist Interest.
Thousands of people gather on this special occasion in Padrón’s festive calendar to enjoy, completely free of charge, this delicacy and run the “risk” of experiencing the truth of the old saying: “Os pementos de Herbón, uns pican e outros non” (Herbón peppers, some are hot and others are not). It was in this Padrón parish that the plant of the Herbón pepper was first cultivated, after being brought from America by one of the monks belonging to the order that has been here for more than 600 years.
The event features the following programme:
- 10.30 am. Open-air mass.
- 11.30 am. Blessing and start of the festival.
- 12.30 pm. Reception for authorities in the Town Hall and a motorized agricultural parade as far as Padrón.
- 1.30 pm. Reading of the opening speech by an outstanding personality and appointment of Knights and Ladies, “Pementos de Prata” awards, “Xove Pementeiro” award and “Sabio Pementeiro” award. Appointment of the Order of the Pepper President of Honour.
- 2.30 pm. Prizes for the best-decorated tractors and free tasting of the famous Herbón peppers.
- 10 pm. Musical performances and open-air dance.